.Sun & Nature Walking Tour - Sao Miguel & Santa Maria
Come walk in the Eastern Azorean Islands of São Miguel and Santa Maria. From lakes to sandy beaches, you will be amazed by the landscape diversity on these two neighbouring islands. Embrace mother nature while breathing in fresh air surrounded by peacefulness and immaculate sceneries. If you enjoy walking this trip was designed for you!
- Day 1 - São Miguel
Arrival at São Miguel. Transfer from the airport to the hotel.
- Day 2 - São Miguel
Transfer from the hotel to the beginning of the trail of Sete Cidades. Visit the big volcanic crater with its blue and green lake, which offers a beautiful view during the whole walk not only of the lakes but also of the big blue sea. You will descend to the valley and village of Sete Cidades where you also can walk along the lakes. Afternoon: transfer to hotel in Ponta Delgada.
- Day 3 - São Miguel/Santa Maria
Transfer from the hotel to Furnas. The Walk Furnas goes around the lakeside, passing by the holes where the traditional meal "cozido" is cooked by the underground vapors released by the volcano. Visit to the Furnas Monitoring & Research Center. Transfer to the hotel. Transfer from the hotel to the airport for the last flight to the island of Santa Maria. Flight of 20 minutes to the island of Santa Maria. Transfer from the airport to the hotel.
- Day 4 - Santa Maria
Walk Pico Alto/Anjos - Transfer from the hotel to the beginning of the trail at Pico Alto forest road, the highest peak on Santa Maria Island, with views of the whole island, it goes through the Barreiro da Faneca (made up of reddish clay lands, also known as the Red Desert of the Azores). At an old whale observation point, you can see Anjos, Ponta da Baleia, the Baía da Cré and the Lagoinhas Islet. Passing by a small water course descending to the bed of the Ribeira do Lemos stream. Arriving at Anjos, you can visit the Furna de Santana. Return transfer to the hotel.
- Day 5 - Santa Maria
Walk Entre a Serra e o Mar - Transfer from the hotel to the beginning of the trail. This trail begins and ends at the parish church of Santa Bárbara. The trail begins on a beaten earth path, passing by two windmills in ruins, a stone quarry that provided the stone used to build the typical local houses. Along the trail you will see the typical style of house built in Santa Bárbara, with its characteristic chimneys, typical colours and rural-style architecture and a unique view over the Bay of São Lourenço and the splendid waterfall that is around 50m in height. Return transfer to the hotel.
- Day 6 - Santa Maria/São Miguel
Walk Santo Espírito / Maia - This walk begins next to the Santo Espírito Church in the Santo Espírito parish, goes through Maia and ends at the Whaling Factory in Ponta do Castelo. The path runs along the village in the direction of a traditional windmill, passing by the waterfall of the Ribeira do Aveiro, the Gonçalo Velho Lighthouse and traditional vineyards. Transfer to the airport. Flight to the island of São Miguel. Transfer from the airport to the hotel.
- Day 7- São Miguel
Transfer from the hotel to the beginning of the trail. Walk to Lagoa do Fogo, a trail to the most savage lake of the Azores, where you only can go walking. You will go along a levada through mountains and valleys with a beautiful view. The walk ends at the beach of Água dAlto where you can have a swim. Return transfer to the hotel in Ponta Delgada.
- Day 8 - São Miguel
Departure transfer from the hotel to airport.
Included / Not Included
- 7 nights bed & breakfast
- Arrival & departure transfers between airport & accommodations as mentioned on the program
- Transfers between accommodation & walk tours as per description on the program
- Walking guidebook with trails descriptions and maps + transfer schedules for the walks + SOS contacts
- Entrance to the Monitoring and Research Centre of Furnas & plantation of one endemic
- Flight ticket PDL/SMA/PDL
- Issuing of ticket 15 days prior to departure
- Cancellation before departure: 50% refund
- Cancellation after departure date non-refundable
- Rerouting after departure: no refund unless due to death of passenger or family member
- Voluntary routing changes after issuing ticket permitted to upgrade to normal fare
- Change name after issuing ticket permitted with penalty
- Symbolic contribution to social & environmental institutions: Rabo de Peixe Sabe Sonhar & Life Priolo: 1,00€
- Local walking guide
- Picnics or any other kind meal
- Upgrades to superior rooms
- Supplements to reservations in hotels other than those mentioned
The day, route, schedule and mode of transportation are subject to change without notice due to operating conditions