.Dolphins, Whales & Men
Join us in Pico Island for an exciting week-long Whale and Dolphin Watching Holiday. The Azores and especially Lajes do Pico, are undoubtedly one of the 10 best spots for whale watching in the world. There are still not too many tourists around, very high amount and diversity of Whales observed, little visual pollution and the mountain of Pico as background. What a sight to behold!
- Day 1 - Faial or Pico
Welcome and transfer from Faial or Pico airport to hotel in Lajes do Pico.
- Days 2 until 7 - Pico
5 boat excursion, depending on weather condition. Access to the services of the BOCA (Base for the Observation of Cetatians of the Azores): mountain bike, kayaks, library. Entrance to the whalers museum (1 per person).
To be in the Azores and especially in Lajes do Pico, undoubtedly one of the 10 best spots for whale watching in the world, it is by far the right option. Still little tourist frequentation, high quantity, and diversity of cetacians observed, little visual pollution, with the mountain of Pico as background. Multimedia Briefing - before the embark on each whale watching trip - of approximately 30 minutes: biology and animal behavior, whale hunting story, ecology, legislation. Small boats equipped with a hydrophone, not only to help locate the animals, but especially to supplement the visual observation with an acoustic meeting are used in order to limit the impact on the animals, driven by 4 stroke engines: less noise and chemical pollution... "Size matters"! Using the original look-out system called "Vigia", a surveyor observes the sea, with the help of binoculars, on the lookout for cetaceans and guide the whale watching boats in order to minimize the negative impact on the animals: manage the number of boats around the same group, manages boat speed and angles of incidence. The Sperm whales are the largest and most numerous in these waters. The other toothed whales frequently sighted are the Tropical Pilot Whales, Sowerby's beaked whale, Gervais's beaked whale, Blue whale, Common whale, Sei whale. The dolphins regularly spotted are False Orca, Risso, Bottlenose, Common, Atlantic Spotted and Striped dolphins.
- Day 8 - Faial or Pico
Departure transfer to airport of Faial or Pico.
Included / Not Included
- 7 nights bed & breakfast at the Hotel Wahlecome ao Pico
- Arrival & departure transfers between airport of Pico & accommodation in Lajes do Pico
- Welcome drink and briefing
- 5 boat excursions, depending on weather conditions
- Entrance to the whalers museum
- Insurance (general assistance, illness, accident, cost of rescue operations)
- Symbolic contribution to social & environmental institutions: Rabo de Peixe Sabe Sonhar & Life Priolo: 1€
- Upgrades to superior rooms
- Supplements to reservations in hotels other than those mentioned
- Supplements for private tours
- Extra charge when arriving and/or departing from Faial airport: 28,89€ / per pax / OW
The whale watching boats are fast and drawn for active voyages, unfortunately, cannot accommodate persons with reduced mobility, pregnant women, or persons with osteoporosis, sciatic